Saturday, January 6, 2007

Green Tomato with Kidney Beans Curry

I already bought Green unripe tomatoes for thid week's event, and was thinking how to make them . Has got one maharastian style curry to make with from my neighbour friend, but as per what she described it consumes much oil. My mind is not so wise to consider that much oil to consume, so finally thought to make it some way such that it will be healthy and nutritiuos too . And when it come to nutritions, my mind reminds me of beans always. And this way I come up with this dish .

Ingredients:
5- 6 Unripe green tomatoes , cut into cubes,
1 cup kidney beans , soaked over night,
Few peanuts roasted ,
1/4 cup coriander leaves,
1 tsp lemon juice,
1 tsp red chili powder,
1/4 tsp turmeric powder,
1/2 tsp mustard seeds,
1/2 tsp cumin seeds,
a pinch of asafoetida,
salt to taste.
1/2 tsp oil .

Method:
Soak Kidney beans over night and pressure cook it , until they are soft .
Select firm unripe tomatoes , cut them into medium sized cubes and bring it boil seperately until they are tender.
Now mix coriander leaves , roasted peanuts and lemon juice together and blend them , make a smooth paste of it. while Kidney beans turn little cool ,mash them or crush them using hand blender, take care to do not crush it to smooth paste .
In a pan heat oil, add mustard seeds when they start spluttering , add cumin seeds and a pinch of asafoetida. Add the crushed kidney beans to it , and let it cook until all extra water from it evaporates. add the smooth paste of coriander leaves and roasted peanuts to it. Mix well and finally add red chilli powder, turmeric powder , salt , garam masala and cooked tomatoes.
cook it for a minute and turn off the heat.

Serve hot with Roti.

As I have still so many recipes remaining to present here with tomatoes, I am keeping Tomato continue as Vegetable of The next Week too. Just a little variation is that I will be posting it late by 1 day in the next week as I am going out of Pune and not going to keep Laptop with me(asking why ? - give me a break, man! :)) ) , I will be back on tuesday :) .Till then stock our pantry with tomatoes and keep on watching the show :D . Yet much more intresting dishes to come. :) Have a happy weekend and healthy meals. !

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey creative girl:) missed u a lot:) got to catch up soon:)
cheers
supriya

Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,dish looks great.Have a wonderful time!:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja,

Green tomato with kidney beans..hmmmmm good combo dear.


Waiting for your receipe that you are going to post by next week...Enjoy your trip man...

Viji said...

Very good presentation Pooja, Such a creative thinking. Normally we avoid the green tomatoes. but it looks we can prepare many dishes with that. Tks for sharing. Let me know what is the next week plan (to plan it in advance). Viji

Anonymous said...

Hey Pooja, I had a Tomato Chutney recipe on my blog that I can share. But I am not sure if you need a separete entry or can I send something I have already blogged ?

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja,nice curry..I don't get green tomatoes here,so will bookmark this recipe and make it when I get them.

Anonymous said...

Pooja,
I don't know how you can think of so many recipes with a single vegetable.I particularly want to try stuffed tomato and waiting to finish my present stock of tomatoes so that I can buy some firm ones.Thanks for sharing your recipes.
I also like to thank for posting my entry 'Tomato Pachchdi'during the event.
I like your blog and already added yours to my bloglist.
Thx
Suma

Anonymous said...

Hey i never new that the green tomatoes remain so firm and retain thier shape.Wonderful recipe got to try this.thanks for sharing it.Look great.Cant wait to try this

Anonymous said...

HI Pooja,
My Mouth is Watering A lot seeing your beautiful recipe, I thought of getting your recipe for my dinner, but couldn't get time to be in the kitchen for quite while, Anyway Thanks for sharing your yummy cooking ideas with us!!! Awesome!!!
ugyen

Pooja said...

Hi Supriya,
Nice to see you back here.
hope you will be fine there, waiting to listen a lot from your trip :)
stay tuned.

Hey Asha, thanks dear! seems like you forgeot my name :((
-"Pooja"

Usha,
I am back from trip, and I enjoyed it , as the purpose of visiting is fulfilled now :) . thanks for your nice words, goin to post one more recipe soon !

Viji,
I am keeping continue with Tomato for this week too dear ,as have something more to present here with lovely tomatoes...:)

Pooja said...

Sandeepa,
you can send any entry you like to particcipate here with. either one already posted by you or a fresh one. thanks :) .
Vini,
thanks dear ! I am glad that you liked my idea of making green tomato curry this way.

Suma,
thanks for your encouraging words for this event ! I am glad that you participated here with your entry. I love that recipe too ! One thing to ask is I am not able to post comment to you , seems like that part is missing from your blog template. can you do something for that,I think many of us are waiting to be there to comment your posts!kindly do somehting in this regards.

Soumya,
Its a pleasure to get your nice comment here, thanks for your advice regarding my question too , keep that good work goin on , thanks a lot !

Ugyen,
Welcome to my blog world! :) .
I am pleased to see you here. Also thanks for your nice word about this blog on your post.:) .
Stay tuned.

-Pooja

Web Design Quote said...

You did a great job and the presentation was very good. Keep it up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...