Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Sev Tameta Nu Shaak



Sev Tameta Nu Shaak……
Just speak this 4 words in front of any Gujarati or specially “ Kathiyawadi” people and look at their expressions….! I bet 90% of them will feel happy just by hearing the name; there will be pleasing expressions worth watching at. This is a main course dish, which normally accompanied by Thepla or Paratha. Not only a delicious dish, but also quick , easy to make and looks very different than normal main course dishes. This idea came to my mind ,when I saw 'Adadiya' on Trupti’s Blog. This is going to be an addition to gujarati dishes , I have posted here . Also humbly submitting this to VKN for FAHC campaign . Here is how I make this tangy , tasty ,sweet and spicy dish .

Ingredients:
6-7 Ripe tomatoes,
1 tsp garlic minced with 1 tsp red chilie powder,
½ tsp each cumin seeds and mustard seeds,
Shredded jaggery ,
Salt to taste,
½ tsp oil,
Besan Sev( to mix with , it should be of medium thickness, as shown in picture here)
Coriander leaves to garnish.

Method :
Cut the fresh ripe tomatoes into small pieces.
Heat oil in a Kadhai , and add mustard seeds to it. When they start spluttering add cumin seeds and then add tomato cut into small pieces.
Mix it , and let it cook for a while covering lid to vessel . it will start making some gravy of tomato soon, stir it occasionally , add jaggery to it. Let it cook until there is enough gravy of tomato and it is well cooked. Add red chili and garlic paste to it and next add salt. Mix it well and add Sev to it. It will absorb much portion of the gravy, so take care to choose ripe tomato , which will make enough of gravy for this dish .

One can also add some water to make more of geavy while it is half cooked, and then finally when cooked enough with thick gravy add sev to it. Still I will recommend you to make it without adding additional water, the real taste of it is too good.

I had this accompanied by Paratha.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja,I am back!:))

I made this dish with sev once,loved it.Looks and tastes delicious!Thanks for this.

Thanks for doing the MeMe and I really enjoyed reading that as well.All the Tomato recipes look great and your blog is like a cook book itself now!:))Great job.

Pooja said...

Dear Asha,
It is so nice to see you back in your mood. i just posted this and went for dinner. i just got back to check my typos,( you know I make lot many typing mistake while I type :)) , God knows when I will be perfect with that :D ) and find your comment here. So glad to see yours. :) Thanks for your encouraging compliments. I am so pleased to hear from you dear. :)
thanks for being with me :) .
-Pooja

Anonymous said...

hai poooja
dish is looking great..very new to me..
thanks for sharing..
at first when u have given tomato as veg.of the week i thought "with toamato what u will make throughout the week?"but after seeing ur tomato recipes ..i am flat..it is really very nice..to see ur blog..
happy new year..

Anonymous said...

WOW! you're so right about this being a typical favorite of Gujaratis & Kathiawadis especially....I just LOVE this,and is a regular in my "Kathiawadi" kitchen.....and my "Patel" husband loves it too! (haha).
Your shaak looks awesome, you know I've tried it with 'zhini' sev too and it tasted great.

Still not cooking, Hope to send you a recipe soon!
-Trupti

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja,

Really amazing post with wonderful receipes with tomotoes....

I liked very much your picture presentation too..

Anonymous said...

Hi!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Have A Blessed New Year to u n ur family.
Good daY!

Sumitha said...

Pooja i too have heard of this dish but didnt know how to make it.Can you tell how much sev we should add in the tomato gravy?Is it how much is there in the picture of sev shown?

Anonymous said...

I like this dish..but have never prepared it..Now, since Creative Pooja has given me the recipe..I might try this one soon...thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja,nice dish,never heard of cooking with sev.Have to give this one a try for sure!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja,
Thanks for your visit to my blog. I like your blog and the recipes very much! Although I don't know much about Indian cooking, still would like to try a couple of dishes this weekend. I'll see you again :D

Anonymous said...

Pooja, Happy New Year. The dish looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Never would have thought of tomato curry and sev with parathas! Nice combo, Poo!
Happy New Year!

Pooja said...

Hi Swapna ,
I have so many recipes of tomato in my mind , that I can continue with tomato for the next week too.
I am glad that you liked my recipe . thanks dear .

Trupti,
Apne pan bija ne batavavu join eke Gujarat I atla famous kem hoy chhe..
Hu pan kyarek Zhini sev sathe try karu chhu, e pan saru lage chhe : )
Enjoy your break , I reall y think that one should take sush break after a while. Just to maintain interest in life. The same routine all the day will bore anyone I think .
Got your soup recipe , its Wonderful! Will post it today .

Usha,
Thanks dear for your nice words. Still many more to come with tomato. Stay tuned and have fun .

Bhargavi ,
Thanks for Dropping by . Wishing the same for you and your family.

Pooja said...

Hi Sumitha,
I used the same quantity of Sev , as I shown here in picture. I would advise you to add it gradually when you make this dish , as it will absorb most of the gravy . so take care to do not add all of it at once. Firs t add half of it , and if atill much gravy is there then add some of it again. Basically this dish is supposed to be full of gravy mixed with sev, and not dry at all. I hope this will be helpful for you.

Mehak and Vini
,
Try it , it is quick and tasty . let me know if you try it .


Gettina,
A very Warm Welcome to my Blog : ) . I am glad that you liked my recipes.
Do let me know if you try out any of my dish .
Stay tuned.

Mandira & Vani,
This is indeed a nice combo. All at my place loves this. Try it out ad you will start loving tthis too .

Gaurav Joshi said...

Hi Pooja,

First of all thankyou for maintaining this blog amazingly. I tried making sev tameta nu shaak and the same thing happened that there was not enough water coming out of tomatoes to make rich gravy.

So instead of adding only water, I have a suggestion. One can add some tomato gravy (ready made) to get a rich consistency along with water. It works out well.

Keep up the good job.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Thought that my gujarati buddies may like this website.

http://www.indiatransit.com/

Very accurate timing for gujarat buses.

Anonymous said...

Website for posting obituaries and memorials for Indians.

Obituaries India

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the India transportation site link here. The website Transportation in India is great, and its all free :-) Thank you for posting.

LinktoEXPERT said...

Thanks pooja...I followed the receipe and it turned out to be really tasty...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...