Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Stuffed Tomato (Bharela Tameta)



Stuffed Tomato , as we call it in Gujarati "Bharel Tameta " nu shaak. :) Just the idea of making it was feeling my mind with the vision of this colorful dish. One more thing about this dis is at my place when ever I make it the stuffing of it is liked so much by Deepak that he can eat that alone too :) .
Here is my version of Barela Tameta ...

Ingredients:
8-10 medium Ripe but firm Tomatoes
2 potatoes boiled and mashed
1/4 cup chopped carrot
1/4 cup green peas
2 small sized onion,
½ tsp sesame seeds,
½ tsp poppy seeds,
½ tsp saunf ,
1/4 cup chopped green Garlic.(if not available use dried garlic cloves instead)
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chilli powder,
1/2 tsp turmeric Powder
1 tsp Coriander(dhania) powder
1/2 tsp each jeera, mustard seeds
1 tbsp. oil
salt to taste
To garnish:
Fresh Paneer (cottage cheese)
Chopped onion
Few coriander leaves

Method :
Boil Potatoes, peel and mash them and keep aside.
Also boil carrot cut into small pieces,and boil green peas too. Boil tem separately as green peas will be boiled soon .



Now cut the top of the tomato horizontally, (like a cap). Scoop out the seeds carefully. Remove the pulp and keep it aside to be used in stuffing material.Chop one onion finely and keep aside another for garnishing.

Heat oil in a kadhai ,add Cumin and Mustard seeds. When they splutter add sesame seeds, saunf and poppy seeds, also add chopped onion. Cook it until onion is translucent , next add the tomato pulp and fry for one minute.

Add boiled carrot and green peas along with mashed potato. Then add turmeric powder, red chili powder,
coriander powder and salt to it. Let it cook until the mixture is firm enough, add garam masala to it , mix well and cook for a minute.


When this stuffing material turns little cool ,Stuff the tomatoes with it.
Place tomatoes in a cooker container. Dot with little butter. Pressure cook for one whistle.



Before serving it garnish it with grated Paneer, chopped onion and coriander leaves. Serve hot with roti or paratha.

20 comments:

Ashwini said...

Those look so pretty..I will surely give it a try.
Wish you a very HAppy New Year

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja,wow stuffed tomatoes!never tried it before.But this time I will definitely try this one..looks absolutely delicious.No wonder Deepak can eat this all by itself!You are a wonderful cook,dear!

Anonymous said...

hi pooja
really very nice recipe..pictures are wonderfull..u know onething..i am planning this one to night..and u are fast..than me...:-))
happy new year...

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja,

Stuffed tomatoes looks delicious.

Got ALLLLLLL your messages :). The messages go through comment moderation, so it will take time to appear in the website. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you for tagging me, will blog about it sometime.

Anonymous said...

wow!this is something different, i never ame across.

I like your step by step process with pictures.

One doubt i have with this receipes,can we have this like side dish or alone?

Anonymous said...

WOW WONDERFUL RECIPE pooja cant wait to try it
HAPPY NEW YEAR WISHES TO YOU POOJA

Anonymous said...

Poojaben, really wonderful recipe, i love Tameta Sev nu shaak, I am planning on posting it soon...thanks for sharing...take care ben...~smile~...

Anonymous said...

Very nice and yummy recipe Pooja, I also make stuffed tomatoes and my husband..., he just loves them!

Cheers, Nidhi.

Anonymous said...

Isn't this amazing!!!!!!! They look fab pooja :) My cam is down for repair :( So nothing from my side :(

Viji said...

Pooja, Really it looks so nice. With such a delicate veggie, firm stuffed tomatoes... Very nice indeed. I like stuffed ones without gravies. They taste much better. Good Job. Viji

Anonymous said...

looks sooo YUMMY!!!

Pooja said...

Ashwini ,
A very Happy new year to you too! Do let me know if you try it.:)
Vini,
Thank you for your compliments dear. Try it and I am sure it will become a part of your regular meal soon . Also let me know, how it comes out? Deepak even like the stuffing of this so much. :)

Swapna ,
Thank you! Still of you wish you can participate with your version of stuffed tomato. :) .
Also Sangeeta is faster than you . : ) , just kidding. ! A very happy and healthy new year to you too !

Pooja said...

Oh Priya,
How did that happened? It was showing some technical bug named-‘ member not found ‘.And I really tried much to reach to you . also I don’t have your email id. : ( .
It was really a big trouble for me . well, anyway nice that you got it atleast. Will wait to see yours Meme. : )

Usha ,
Thanks , and I am glad that you lied it. I took this different pictures for that purpose only. So that it will be easy for all to understand. A picture is worth 1000 words… : ) .
Well, this is a side dish normally accompanied by Roti or Paratha. You can have it with rice to I guess, though I never tried it with rice.

JayaK,
Seasons greeting to you too dear! Well, hope you will like it too when you prepare it :) . let me know if you try this!

Pooja said...

Dilipbhai,
I just made Sev Tameta nu shaak , specially to post as one of the favorite Gujarati , rather Kathiyawadi shaak. Going to post it today only. Though I would love to see your version too ! a comment from you is always a boost for me to cook creatively. Thanks for being there.

Nidhi.
Thanks ,whats your status in Chef’s now?

Coffee,
Your presence is enough for me dear! Still , I miss something delicious from your side.
I hope your camera will repair soon :D .

Viji & Mehak,
Thanks for your nice words. I am happy that you liked it.

Anonymous said...

Pooja:
Lovely presentation. I loved the recipe too. Hope you had a wonderful vacation and love to see more of such wonderful recipe all thro' 2007
Cheers
Seema

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja

U indeed a creative firl, i loved this receipes, just hasd a question, last line you said "Place tomatoes in a cooker container. Dot with little butter. Pressure cook for one whistle. " does the cooker need to be filled with some water or not or how to cook

Thanks

Geeta

Anonymous said...

Pooja ,

I am sorry for the spelling mistake i meant " you indeed a creative girl" sorry for typo

Geeta

Pooja said...

hi Geeta,
Dont worry about your Typos. i make lot of them :)) .
when u cook them you need to add little water to it, just abt 1-2 tsp . it wil do good.
do let me know if you try it .
-Pooja

Anonymous said...

omg
those stuffed tomatoes looks so yummy

Pooja said...

Thanks Anusharaji for Dropping by. do let me know if you try it some time.
I am glad that you liked it.
Stay tuned.
-Pooja

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...