Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Bottle gourd(Lauki) Thepla

I had a bottle gourd in refrigerator since 2-3 days and was thinking of how to use it. Simple curry of this is much common so i tried to recall what my Mummy used to make of it,and got this wonderful memory in my mind . So this was now final that I was going to make tasty thepla using lauki I have. I remember that I have heard and read this so many times that Bottle gourd is good to eat and has many advantages of eating it to keep away heart trouble and so many others... I have got more info on this too, check out for bottle gourd - food that heals , if it is so advantageous to eat it, I think I must prepare different kind of food out of it regularly . :)
this time it was turn to make Thepla of it , Here is my recipe for Thepla.

Ingredients:
2 cups wheat flour
1 small sized tender Bottle gourd(Lauki/Dudhi) peeled and grated
7-8 cloves of garlic,crushed
2 tbsp oil ( for dough),
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder,
1 tsp Chili Powder,
salt to taste,
oil for frying

Method:
Take a small sized Bottle gourd peel it and grate finely. Do not let the water of this get wasted ,Instead use this in preparing dough , it will add better taste to thepla when it is ready.
Take wheat flour in a big bowl,add all the ingredients. use a little water to make a smooth dough of it.







Make lemon sized balls from the dough, and roll each into 5"-6 "round . Place vit on a hot griddle or roti tawa . roast a little from one side (as shown in middle figure above) and change the side , then spread little oil from sides to center. do the same for both sides. repaeat the same for all balls. here is your Thepla ready to serve. :)
Can be served with pickle- Chhunda.
Best accompanied with Aloo ki sukhi Bhaji(Some other time I 'll post recipe for this too ) when traveling, as it remains good for 2-3 days at room temperature.

One can also add sesame seeds and chopped coriander leaves to it while preparing dough,that will also taste Yummyyyyyyyyyy..................:P



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice Pooja, I love these "Dudhi na thepla'..the dudhi makes them even softer! I love to est the leftovers the next day with early morning tea!

Cheers,trupti

Pooja said...

Dear Trupti,
Thanks. yes, its true that adding dudhi is making it even more soft. I missed to add this words when posting recipe. :( . seems like your taste is matching very much with mine ,hurreeyyyyyy..... I also love to have those leftover with pickle or curd as morning breakfast.:)

Anonymous said...

oohh..aathanu and dahi...you took the words right outta my mouth! are you gujarati btw?

Cheers,Trupti

Pooja said...

hey,
seems like you r currently there online :)
yupe i know gujarati.
what abt u ?
-Pooja

Anonymous said...

Yep, Me too! Born in Gujarat but raised in Canada...but I still speak/read/write fluently..
Where are you located?

FH said...

Love love Theplas, yummy! Looks delicious and somany too.Wish I could grab some to go with my chick pea soup right now!:))

Anonymous said...

hey pooja,
till now i have had tried only methi thepla and i love them... this is completely new to me... they look awsome
cheers
supriya

Pooja said...

Thanks all.
Trupti : Nice that i got u here :) will sometime like to have conversation with you outta this blog too. :)
Asha:thanks . I wish if I could grab your chick pea soup with my Thepla ;) . Your brunch recipes r great . I love it. Keep posting . Cheers.It feels good to see you around. :)
Supriya: You go girl, try it and let me know how it shape up for you. thanks for your kind words.

Happy Blogging.
-Pooja

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...