Monday, November 20, 2006

Suran Pakoda

Suran Pakoda

Ingredients:
suran roughly cut into large pieces, and boiled,
1 cup bengal gram flour (besan),
3-4 green chillies,
A small piece ginger,
Sugar to taste,
Juice of one lemon,
A few coriander leaves, chopped
Salt to taste,
Oil for deep frying,
¼ tsp turmeric powder,
1/2 tsp Ajwain,
A pinch of soda-bi carbonate (baking soda)

Method:
Pressure cook the suran till soft.Peel and mash. Set aside.chop green chillies finely, and shred ginger.
Mix together the suran, ginger, chopped chilli & coriander leaves, sugar, lime juiceand salt to taste.Mix well.
Make a smooth batter with the bengal gram flour,salt to taste, Ajwain and turmeric powder.
Add a teaspoon of hot oil when making the batter.Let the batter remain thick , add a pinch of baking soda.Divide the suran mixture into equal sizedportions, the size of a lemon.
Heat oil in a deepa kadhai , Dip each ball in the batter and deep fry till little brown in color.Serve hot with chutney/ketchup.


When this idea came to my mind, I was little confused about the final output of the whole process :P , but when I make it, the expression of hubby while tasting it was enough for me to know how it was!
I think I am gonna make it again soon, as this time I made it little in amount, next time going to have a large dish of it :D.


Note:
Take care so that the material of suran should be hard enough to make balls of it .
There are certain reason by which it can’t be much stuff
1 . if suran is boiled more than required
2. adding more lemon juice to it will also make the material more soft
If such thing happens then the mixure cant form balls easily. If happens so, mix just a little of corn flour to it. This will solve problem. Better to make it firm enough in original form, i.e. without adding corn flour from it, as adding corn flour will slightly change the taste.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja,

This is really very tempemting ...You have come up with interesting snack...

Amazing pics....Surely will participate in next veg...

Anonymous said...

nice dish. but what is Suran, can you please tell.

Seema Bhat said...

hi pooja:
man i love this veggie ...and i never knew that u could make pakoda's out of it too ...thanks pooja for posting the recipe ..will try it out soon and let you know...one more thing ...i dont always get fresh suran nearby...u think frozen will do as good as fresh for this recipe...
Thanks again
-
Seema Bhat

Anonymous said...

hey pooja,
this is such a innovative dish an d looks really yummy... but i have a small doubt... suran tend to be little itchy if its not cooked properly and i remember my mom adding good amount of tamarind for that reason... will juice of 1 lemon as u mentioned does the trick? do let me know...
cheers
supriya

Anonymous said...

One more Suran dish, Pooja. Bring them on girl.Love it. Thanks:))

Anonymous said...

Interesting recipe. Will try it out.

Anonymous said...

Hi Poojaben--gosh..you sure do some nice suran recipes. I don't tend to use much yam/suran, maybe i need to eat more of the stuff...Thanks for sharing...~soft smile~...peace...happy cooking..

Pooja said...

Hi
Thank you all for appreciating my original idea of making suran pakoda. : )

Usha : thanks dear, I wish u to be there with me , at least from next week.

Laxmi : Suran is elephant yam. I have its picture shown in earlier post here.

Seema : I think frozen can do well, let it come to room temp. First and then apply any process with it. Do let me know if u try it. Thanks for encouraging me with your nice words. :)

Supriya : your doubt is true, it can be itchy , but when it is cooked( boiled) , that characteristic of it vanished , as i use it after boiling it in making paste of surn pakoda, it is not a bit itchy. So as far as this dish is concerned, 1 lemon juice will do.

Asha : a lot much thanks for being near by, and encouraging me ! Love to you. : )

Laxmi K: thanks, do let me know if u try it.

Dilipbhai : even earlier I didn’t use it much, but since I started experimenting with it, I find it too delicious in taste. I started using it coz its much nutritious one should have this as part of our meals, try out something. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

hi pooja,
thanks babes:) will give it a try very soon:) catch u later..
lots of luv and hugs:)
cheers
supriya

Vini K said...

Hey Pooja,nice recipes with suran.In andhra we make a very famous curry using suran and a sag called bachchali in telugu.It is somewhat like spinach and this curry is esp made during marriages.will try the pakoda for sure.

Anonymous said...

Wow..... I never thoguht you could make pakodas out of suran...... So far I have tried it only with potato..... this is a nice twist!!!!! Great going Pooja (ben) are you a ben???? I mean gujju???

Pooja said...

Hi

Vini : thanks for your info. i am totally not aware of south indian recipes and rituals. :) let me know if u give this recipe a try.

Rooma : thanks for dropping by and complementing me. :) I have also dropped comment on you blog. Just check it out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...