Friday, November 24, 2006

Suran Pickle


Yam Elephant(Suran) Pickle

Today is the last day with Yam Elephant (Suran) as - "Vegetable of the week ". Ending here with the last (of course not the least :) ) recipe for this week of Yam Elephant. It is Pickle made of It.Here it Goes...

Ingredients:
Yam Elephant peeled &cut lengthwise in 2 inch long strips,
1 tsp mustard seeds,
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds,
3-4 dried red chillies,
1/2 tsp turmeric powder,
8-10 curry leaves ,

tamarind plup mixed with 1 small piece jaggery,
¼ cup fenugreek leaves,
1/4 tsp asafoetida ,
2 tbsp oil,
salt to taste

Method:
Cut Yam elephant into long stips , wash and drain off water. Apply salt, toss to mix and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
Roast 1 tsp mustard & fenugreek.. Grind the roasted ingredients,red chillies along with tamarind and jaggery into fine paste add asafoetida &turmeric powder to it.


Heat oil in a frying pan, squeeze Yam Elephant pieces to remove water and drop them into oil and fry until brown.

heat 1 tsp of oil in a frying pan, add curry leaves and dry red chillies to it , next add ground masala and let t cook for a while.now mix the fried suran pieces in it. add salt as per taste .Suran pickle is ready :D .
I am not much fan of any kind of pickle , so was little doubtful with, how the final outcome will be! Even I never made simple pickles, which my Mom used to make every year at home, so it was fun to try one pickle on hand, I was feeling exciting just by the feelings that I am making a pickle on my own :) . finally when I finished it, I like it so much that I need no words from hubby for approving it. :P .

Similar pickle can be made with Bitter gourd... just substitute Yam Elephant with bitter gourd!!!
UPCOMING:
Vegetable of Next week is -Spinach & fenugreek Leaves. You can participate by presenting any of your recipe made up of either spinach or fenugreek. for that you can email me that on blogpooja@gmail.com with picture(if u have any) and recipe, or just provide me info if you have already that post on your blog... let it be fun and little interactive... So all my blog buddies put your thinking cap on to create something new with this lovely green vegetable and make winter green rather than pink this year :)) .
I have selcted this veggies with the hope that spinach and fenugreek leaves will be available to you at this time, doesn't matter in which part of the world you are ! As for the last week even i felt bad by knowing that some of my dearest buddies there in US of A are not able to get it. :( . Hope that will not be a problem this time.
From monday to friday this week will be celebrated. have fun on weekends :) .
Do let me know, how do u find this week with Yam Elephant(Suran) as vegetable of the week.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja,

Thanks for these wonderful Suran recipes. I have had Suran only in Undhiyo and now I have so many recipes to make and try :).

Anonymous said...

Pooja: what a unique recipe! Looks delicious...and your veggie of next week is great, can't wait to see what you cook up!

Cheers,Trupti

Anonymous said...

oh girl... there is no stopping u:)
a tight hug:)
cheers
supriya:)
p.s: i have mailed u to ur gmail account:)

Pooja said...

Hi

Thanks Sangeeta, trupti and Supriya : ) .
Have a Happy weekend.
Stay tuned
-Pooja

Anonymous said...

gr8 idea - will come up with something for fenugreek I have one bunch sitting in my fridge

Viji said...

Thanks, Pooja, I will participate with Spinach. Have a great weekend. Viji

Anonymous said...

so yummy pickle with suran, But pooja, what's this suran, i have to google it first.
you too have fun Pooja.
lakshmi

Pooja said...

Hi ,

Revathi: Hey you lady with nice name :), thanks for dropping by here. I am looking fwd to see your email in my inbox with lovely recipe with fenugreek. do it as soon as possible.
thansks dear !

Vcuisine: I can't wait to see your recipe with spinach. Thanks for showing your willingness to be a part of this idea of vegetable of the week. all your suggestions for chosing any veg for forthcoming weeks are most welcome . :) .

-Pooja

Pooja said...

Hi Laxmi ,
I have already posted picture of suran and provided information about that too in my post of last week. Here it is for your reference.
http://creativepooja.blogspot.com/2006/11/vegetable-of-week-is-sooranyam.html

http://creativepooja.blogspot.com/2006/11/delicious-sooran-cubes.html

Anonymous said...

Hey Pooja,You are making my mouth water now,with this pickle recipe.What a great idea!I like the veggie of the week idea too.What an innovative way to think up new recipes.I will see what I can come up with.

I am glad to have you as my friend,dear.Keep up the good work.

Love,

Vini

LERA said...

Hi pooja, you've a great collection of creative posts ,suran recipe is something never seen before.Thanks for sharing & Cheers!

Viji said...

Dear Pooja, appreciate sending me your email id. I can forward my recipe with photos. Sure, its my pleasure to participate in your effort. Have a good day. Viji

Swamy VKN said...

Hi Pooja - Thank you for your interest in participating at FAHC campaign. We are now finalizing the key tasks and workflow stages, target completion dates, basic outline of the book contents, etc. We will keep you posted. Do stay in touch.

We missed your recent entries here as we were spinning around lately. Wow! we havent made any Suran dish for almost 6 months now. Here is the inspiration! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I have a perfect recipe for spinach next week that I am making today, will blog about it tonite! Take care.

Anonymous said...

hey pooja .U the best i must say ...gad damn creative too ,... man suran pickle too wow i again showed your blog to my hubby and he is like u need to try out all here suran recipies soon ...hee hee and i am gonna definately try them when i get fresh suran ...with frozen i had a bad experience a couple of time ...but so much tempted to try it out again ...
cheers
Seema

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...