Saturday, November 18, 2006

Delicious Sooran Cubes

Delicious Sooran Cubes

My adorable blog friend Asha has told me that in US of A, yam is the sweet potato. Here is something worth to know -why they are considered same there, and what the actual difference is. So that my other blog buddies will not be confused with that. I have already shown picture of Yam(Sooran) in the previous post,so no need to fo in further detail with that . Basically there are two types of Yams too: Yam ordinary (Ratalu) and Yam elephant (Sooran).

Not to confuse you more here is some nutritious breakfast item with sooran today. A quick healthy recipe cooked within 7 to10 minutes.

Ingredients:
Fresh Yam(Sooran) cut into long medium sized cubes,
1 green chilli finely chopped,
1 tsp oil for cooking,
½ tsp cumin seeds,
½ tsp mustard seeds,
Salt to taste,
½ tsp sugar,
¼ tsp turmeric powder,
¼ tsp red chilli powder,
Coriander leaves,





Method:

Peel off the Sooran and cut it into medium sized cubes. Take 1 green chilli, and chop it finely. Heat oil in a pan or kadhai , and add mustard seeds, when they start spluttering , add cumin seeds and chopped chilli. Add turmeric powder and immediately add Sooran cubes, mix it well, and cover with lead, on slow heat let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Stirring occasionally, when sooran cubes turn little tender, add sugar, salt and red chilli powder to it. Let it cook for a while. And turn off heat. Garnish with coriander leaves. A quick, hot and healthy breakfast is ready. :)



14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simple recipe. In my earlier post on my blog I said that I did not post any recipe for yam. Then I figured out you were asking me to post a new recipe for yam. Thanks so much. Is there any deadline for this? Also thanks for adding me to your blogroll.

Anonymous said...

wow pooja, they look delicious.. i wish i could have participated in this weeks veggie, but i'm leaving to india next week for a month and won't be buying any more veggies:) but i will be back with a bang once i come bk:) good thing i can checkout all nice recipes and may be will post the one i know but no pic:) and hey this is really good as we can share our favourite recipes with one another. gr8 thought girl:)
cheers
supriya

Anonymous said...

I will try this one. I get frozen diced yam in the Indian store. thanks for sharing the recipe.

Anonymous said...

I don't buy yams often because I am the only one who likes it at my house. This recipe sounds like a must try.

Pooja said...

Hi,
Laxmi : you can post or send me your recipe upto this friday morning. I asked you coz u told me that u made it at home with some difference, definately all our buddies here and I would love to know that.
from saturday,next week will be dedicated to another veg/fruit. any idea about selecting a perticular veg ia always welcome ,buddy! its not about choosing anything as veg of week on my own, but to decide it together, so that all of us can be participant with our specialities. :)
thanks for nice words.
-Pooja

Pooja said...

Hi Supriya,
thanks for appreciating this idea, it is suggested by hubby! and i liked it very much too.
Coming to India, a very warm welcome ! :)
hope you wil stay tuned from there too .
-Pooja

Pooja said...

Dear Mythreyee,
nice idea. do let me know if you try it. :)
Keep blogging .
Cheers!
-Pooja

Pooja said...

Hi RP,
just get soem amount of Yam and try yam tomato salad , i m sure people will even not know that it contains yam. then u can start preparing other dishes too. yam is a healthy food, my idea here is just to make the dishes little different way so that all different nutritions will be part of our daily meal. Do let me know if yo try it. it is simple yet tasty.
What i find is in our daily routine we can substitute potao with yam, to make our dish much more healty.not much difference you will find. :)
Stay tuned
-Pooja

FH said...

Yam dish looks wonderful,great side dish:))

Pooja said...

Dear Asha,
Thanks :) . going to display one more side dish with Yam . my mind is working around yummy yam these days, :D .
Stay tuned
-Pooja

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to do a vegetable for the week, Pooja! When I make undhiyo, I buy frozen undhiyo vegetables packets that contain some pieces of yam. But I've not cooked with just yam before. This dish looks delicious!

Krithika said...

Suran subzi looks delicious ! Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Love Yam, esp in this kinda dish. I miss this a lot here. I go to Indian Stores here only once in a month, and whenever I go there I find nly dried-up yam's :(

Pooja said...

Hi

Vani,
It’s true, to make undhiya without Yam is impossible. You reminded me of making that yummy dish, I don’t make it much , as it takes lot of oil in preparing it, still for a change if I will get all other fresh veggies here, I will make it sometime.
Stay tuned.

Krithika ,
Thanks for dropping by. Do let me know if you give try to any of Sooran dish .

Priya,
I also was so sad to know that Yam is not much available there :( ( as I am going to migrate there within some months or so ) , hope you might have like the idea of serving yam this way .
:)

-Pooja

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...