Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Stuffed Potato



This is my entry for VKN's "Feed a Hungry Child" campaign . For
You Can Cook- authentic traditional home cooking recipes .






Stuffed Potato is one of the very regular dish we make at our home. The main difference between other stuffed dishes and this one is the stuffing material we use for this. Very rarely I use cooker to make main course dishes. This is one of that. Onions are also used the same way here as potato is being used. This dish is widely known as "Bharel batata - kanda " in Gujarati . :) . Lightly spiced and full of gravy ....


Ingredients :
3-4 Small sized potato (baby potato)
1-2 Small sized onion
¼ cup of peanuts
2 tsp oil .

For stuffing :
A handful of beaten rice (Poha)
1 tsp Gram Flour (besan)
½ tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Red chili Powder
2 tsp Coriander –cumin Powder ( Dhaniya –Jeera Powder )
Salt to taste ,
Jaggery (if you like sweet taste or can omit this)
1 tsp Lemon Juice

Method :

Peel potato and onion. Wash it and cut into four slits , don’t cut thoroughly.

Take beaten rice in a plate , mix in all the ingredients for stuffing , mix it well.
Fill it inside the slits of potato and onion.
Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add asafetida once the oil is hot.

Take into consideration that oil should be enough to cover the whole base of vessel , otherwise while cooking it , vegetables will get burn.
Place the stuffed potatoes and onions into the pressure cooker pan along with peanuts.
Keep excess stuffing on the side , and add 1 cup of water. Add the remaining stuffing material on the layer of water.
Do not stir it , let the stuffing material make the layer on vegetable.
cook the vegetables for 2 whistles. Or until the water make thick gravy by mixing with the remaining stuffing material and vegetables are well cooked.

When cooker turns cool , open the lid and serve with equal amount of potato and gravy in dish.
Serve hot with phuklas. In summer days tastes best when accompanied with Butter milk. while In this season serve it hot and enjoy with roti , naan or rice. what ever you serve dont forget to add your love to it, coz that iswhat make it real tasteful... : ) !

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja,

I never tried potato with poha,let me try this surely....

I have mailed you my receipe link with picture, check it out dear.

Anonymous said...

hey pooja
a different recipe thanks for posting it
that too potato n rice flakes a different combination
will try it out

Anonymous said...

Unusual recipe,looks delicious Pooja.I loved all the recipes this week.Potato rocks:))

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja...great recipe, often made in gujarati households, I have one my blog. I love this kinda dishes...thanks for sharing...~smie~

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja...great recipe, often made in gujarati households, I have one my blog. I love this kinda dishes...thanks for sharing...~smile~

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja...great recipe, often made in gujarati households, I have one my blog. I love this kinda dishes...thanks for sharing...~smile~

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja...great recipe, often made in gujarati households, I have one my blog. I love this kinda dishes...thanks for sharing...~smile~

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja...great recipe, often made in gujarati households, I have one my blog. I love this kinda dishes...thanks for sharing...~smile~

Anonymous said...

hi pooja
mmmmm....looking so great..
i never heard about this recipe..thanks for sharing..

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja

This is a new recipe. Looks like a wholesome dish. Will surely try it out.

Viji said...

Something totally new for us. Feel like trying. Viji

Pooja said...

Hi Usha : going to include it wiht entries for today :) .thanks for participating .Do let me know if you try it.

JayaKartik : I am glad that you liked it. I would like to hear from you how it turn out. :) . thanks for yor nice words.

Asha : there are so many entries i am getting that i think to continue for the next week too , or will have the same veggie for some other week in future :) . thanks for your entry dear . i am glad that you liked it. :)

DilipBhai : you are correct dilipbhai, it is much frquently made in gujarat i kitchens :) Thanks for nice words ! should I send this one for FAHC ? what do u say ?

Swapna ,laxmik, Viji: It is very common in gujarati home, but usually ths stuffing is made up of only besan , i add beaten rice to this. When i thought to make it, i had a feeling that it might be new for you guys and you might cherish it. now I am gldto hear the same from you :)
thanks you all .

-Pooja

Swamy VKN said...

Many thanks Pooja. Both contributions are classic ones. Posted those at my dhaba. Long way to go for us at the campaign. We need everyone's help. Cheers!

Pooja said...

It is my pleasure VKN. I am glad that you liked my contributions, as both the recipes are of gujarati type i thought it will be better to send such traditional one to you.
:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja,nice recipe,totally new to me.I will have to try this one for sure.thanks for sharing!

Pooja said...

hi vini,
do let me know how it turn out if you gonna try it . :)

Anonymous said...

Great work guys. Good resources here, very useful. Your web site is helpful. I will bookmark!
- creativepooja.blogspot.com 0
spaghetti alla carbonara

Vaibhavi Sawant said...

hi pooja
i loved ur blog and ur recipies
i want to learn cooking means i know cooking but when i try something it does not taste dat well :(
can you help me to cook food which will make my hubby happy (m nt yet married)but wnt to be a good cook :)
Hope to get a reply from :)

From
Vaibhavi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...