Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Okra with Green Mango & Lentils

To continue celebrating Green Winter, here I am with the first recipe of Okra as Vegetable of this Week :) . Just have a look to know how I made it. :D

Okra with Green Mango & Lentils



Ingredients :
Okra(bhindi ) , cut into 2 inch pieces
½ cup of yellow lentils(toor dal) ,
2 medium sized onion, cut into strips ,
1 medium sized green (unripe) Mango,cut into 2 inch long strips ,
(I am lucky to get unripe mango here at this time of season, I don't know how, but I find it it Market, asn was so happy to get it. :D )
1 tomato, sliced ,
2 fresh green chillies, deseeded & sliced , 1 tsp ginger garlic paste,
¼ tsp fenugreek seeds,
1 tsp ground coriander,
¼ tsp turmeric powder,
½ tsp red chilli powder,
1 ½ tsp oil,
Salt to taste
½ cup fresh coriander leaves.

Method :


Wash the lentils thoroughly and put it in a sauce pan / cooker with enough eater and cover. Bring it to boil and cook until soft but not mushy. When cooked enough for this, drain and set to one side.


Cut okra into 2 inch long pieces, onions lengthwise, tomato into long slices, and Mango into strips of 2 inches length. (This kind of cutting of each vegetable will give a nice look to this dish. Refer to picture here for how to cut these veggies.)


Now heat oil in a pan, add fenugreek seeds in it, when they begin to pop, add green chilli, and then add the onion until it turns little transparent , Lower the heat and add ginger – garlic paste & turmeric powder to it.

Add okra pieces in it. Let it cook until okra is tender and non sticky. When okra is well cooked , throw in the mango slices .As mango slice will not take much time to turn tender , within a minute of it, add ground coriander , and red chilli powder.

Next add cooked lentil and tomato slices to it. Just cook for a while and add chopped coriander leaves and turn of the heat. Okra with green Mango and lentil is ready for you :)

If you love Okra, you will love this dish too.

A tangy and spicy and healthy dish is ready to serve with hot chapattis . : )

Okra with Green Mango & Lentils Served with Chapatti


This is my entry for WHB to swan as this week's WHB host.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for accepting my Okra:)

You are so lucky to be in India and enjoy all those fresh veg and raw mangoes! I just get some frozen Okras in the super markets here in NC.When you do get fresh ones, they are expensive.

Great recipe:)

Anonymous said...

Never tried okra with green mango before, shall definitely try this

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja,great combination of mangoes with okra.never heard it thoug.I agree with asha,you are really lucky to be enjoying all those beggies.Here in london,I have to change two trains in order to get to the indian markets.Frozen are no good at all.Will try this whenever I can lay my hands on okra and mango together..:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja, how are you. I have been quite cuz I am very busy at the moment. Anyway, okar with mango sounds like heaven. Like most people this is new to me, so I have to try it. Getting a green mango maybe a problem though as Vini said not easy in London....take care...~soft smile~..

Anonymous said...

WOW POOJA NICE CURRY,

i never know that we can mix mango and bhendi ..thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja,

The combination is really new,but looking great dear.Hey let me share one joke with you,which happend between me and my hubby.

I asked him to get fenugreeks last week, he got.This week again i asked to get him Okra.He asked y specially Okra.I said, becoz pooja annouced this week veggie as ladies fingure only.

For that he is saying that,,,so pooja has became deciding factor in our home, i think for few more weeks, whatever she decides,is going to be cooked in our kitchen right???

Anonymous said...

very healthy recipe
thanks for shring it

Anonymous said...

okra! green mango! lentils! yum! yum! yum! :)

Jaya M said...

dear Pooja,
oh so lovely Bhindi/Okhra subzi and with mangoes looks so delicious.
hugs and smiles
Jaya

Viji said...

Pooja, something totally new for me. Very interesting. Will give a try. Viji

Anonymous said...

what a deadly combination!!!!! bhinda and kairi????? But will have to wait till I start getting raw mangies. Thanks Pooja. :)

Anonymous said...

hmmm..wonderful combo. gotta try.

Pooja said...

Hi ,

Asha ,Vini & Dilipbhai : I had no idea that getting fresh okra is problem there.
That’s why I keep on asking you to suggest me some good veggie of your choices too, so that we all can enjoy these weeks . : ) .
Well , you all make me little sad too : ( , as we are going to migrate to U.S of A in near future, and then I will be missing these good veggies of here : (( . thanks for informing about this thing, now I am gonna even enjoy all these thing of here at its fullest : ) .

Sangeeta & Swapna : thanks for your nice words . I have already posted published your recipe here. Hope you will like it.

Usha : Dear , would like to meet you in person some time. : ) I just hope that your hubby is not getting bored with my choiced of veggies :P .

JayaKarthik ,Vani, Jaya , Viji , Rooma & Mythreyee : thank you all ,let me know if any one of you try this recipe . : )

-Pooja

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...