Thursday, December 7, 2006

Okra With Potato (Aloo Bhindi)


A simple and quick dish with okra, which is used as the main course in Indian dish .

My Loving Mom make it this way , here it is to share with you all :)

Ingredients:
Okra cut length wise into 1 inch length
The same quantity of Potato cut into strips of the same size.
7-8 garlic cloves, minced with red chili powder ,
½ tsp turmeric powder,
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) ,
1 tsp Mustard seeds ,
a pinch of Asafoetida,
Salt o taste,
Coriander leaves to garnish.
1 tsp oil.

Method :
First heat oil in a pan or kadhai , add mustard seeds to it, when it starts spluttering , add cumin seeds and asafetida powder to it.
Next add sliced potato, and sprinkle turmeric powder over it. Mix it well, and let it cook on medium heat till potato is tender , add minced garlic and red chilli powder to it. Stir well, and now add okra to it.

On the meduim to high flame keep on stirring it well. After a little while it will seem little greasy due to Okra, keep on stirring it, this will eventually burn all the stickiness of okra. At this stage the okra will reduce to half of the size of its original.

Okra with Potato is ready to serve with Hot Phulka with Ghee : ) .


I had it with ripe Mango Ras ( Juice ) . No , no I am not that much lucky to have ripe mango in market here ,at this time of winter. I stored it in my freezer when the season of ripe mango was on pick here. Here is a quick description of how to do it.

Take fine ripe Mangos, peel it ,and remove the pulp of each , then crush it together to make smooth pulp of it, without adding anything to it, Store it in a air tight container in your deep freezer . this way it will remain fresh for a long time, at least I am using it this way since last 6 months. And it tastes as good as fresh mango. At the time of taking it in use, leave it outside in normal temprature for atleast 2-3 hours , add sugar and little water to it and blend it together again. Your chilled Aam Ras ( Mango juice) is ready to serve with your normal dish. : ) .
At my place both of us love Aam Ras , so I store it in this way and enjoy it in any season here.It is really a great fun to have it in meal, and with Aloo bhindi, it tastes heavenly…. I know I know, that all you buddies from US of A is going to tell that you are missing it there , well, Soon we are also going to migrate there, and will be in your line soon , so let me Enjoy this "Fruit King Of India- Mango " while I am here. :)



The same Dish with okra ans potato can be made other way too, just by changing the way we cut potato and okra here. For that cut potato into small cubes, and okra in usual round shape. This will give it a new look. :) I tried it that way too before few weeks. Here is how it looked like.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pooja,your creative cooking with okra and potato combo sounds too tempting! Nice recipe to try.:)

Anonymous said...

really you are creative Pooja.

Pooja said...

Hi
Lera : thanks for appreciating this idea. Actually this is the idea of my Mom which i continued... I love okra this way very much . This is the most common way for me to preppare okra with chapati. next is okra with green mango & lentil . thanks for dropping by .Stay tuned.
Laxmi : I am creative coz you all lovely friends call me so, otherwise these are just ideas and different ways to prepare food at home . Thanks for you encouraging words.

-Pooja

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja,I have never cooked okra with potato before.Looks yummy.Will try this version when I get bhindis .Unfirtunately the weather here is not permiting me to go veggie shopping,so I am making whatever I have at home.So I cannot participate this week,Maybe next time:)

Ammras looks too inviting..good idea to store it in freezer.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja,

Its so ......superb dear.Thanks for announcing Okra as this week veggie, as i knew only few variety in this veggie..

By your effort, i learnt many this week.

Anonymous said...

YUMMY! I love any Bhindi dishes.You are killing with Aam ras!Not fair at all.We are all frozen like Turkeys with this cold here , and you are eating all these!! No,not fair at all;

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja,

I have mailed you my receipe with picture.

Check it out.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja...i cook okar the same way too. I tend to cook it little longer, since i like it crispy. Great dish..and with mango ras..~drooling~...i can only get ras in tins...not the same as fresh..~smile~...take care

Pooja said...

Hi

Vini : Is everything around yo Is fine? Hope the wether will not trouble you more. It’s perfectly ok Dear if in such situation you can’t participate here this week. Well, as you are home then it’s a good time to surf good blogs and have nice meals with what ever you have at home. Have fun.

Usha : thanks for your entry. First I was confused by just going through email address. I thought some new entry is there or what, when I saw your name in email, I felt good.: )
Nice entry for Okra.
Thanks for being there.

Asha : I am also going to in your line soon , then you will not have chance to complain this to me at least . :))

Dilipbhai : Nice to know that you also make I the same way. : ) . Soon I am going to send entry for FAHC. Stay tuned.

-Pooja

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja!!
Bhindi is so good vegetable, whether u use in sambars, simple fry. I never tried aloo-bhendi combo(infact I don t combine this veg with any other veg...except in sambar) but heard a lot abt its taste from my husband(he tried in some indian restaurant). I haven t tried this dish yet becoz I have a fear abt the sticky nature of bhindi..like aloo will also get the stickines etc..,.Simple bhindi fry is a frequent dish in our house though. Will try ur version.
Thx for sharing.

Unknown said...

Hi, the aloo bhindi recipe looks really interesting and I am trying it right now. I just had a suggestion that it would be great help for amateur guys like me if you can list the approximate time required for each step...

Pooja said...

Bhargavi,
thanks for your nice words. when preparing this dish, it wouldnt get sticky with potatoes , if you cook/fry potatoes well before adding okra to it. try it and you will love it. it tastes too good. and its a regular dish at my home.
thanks for dropping by, stay tuned.

Sunny,
that's a good suggestion I think. next time onwards i will try if i can mention approximate timings to prepare dishes. and for the process too. Most of the dishes around on this blog is not much time taking ,as i always prefer to make something which is quick and tasty too. also there are very less recipes here which used much oil or spices. all are healthy and made with just minimal use of oil within. this is basically my cooking style which reflects here.
hope you will keep dropping here. thanks for yur nice words. Keep in touch.

Neethu said...

Hi Pooja..This is Neethu here from dubai. Last day i was searching for this recipe and came across your blog in google. Your blog looked intresting and when i saw the recipe pic i thought this is worth a try. Also when i read the recipe details it was easy and very much time consuming. In evening when my hubby had this sabzi, he was like superb and mind blowing sabzi. I didnt tell the secret of looking on net and cooking though ;).. I never used to like this sabzi. But once i started eating your recipe made, i couldnt stop licking my fingers..Thanks so much for posting this recipe and i will be looking forward to cook more of your recipes posted... Thanks a lot. :)

Neethu said...

Hi Pooja..This is Neethu here from dubai. Last day i was searching for this recipe and came across your blog in google. Your blog looked intresting and when i saw the recipe pic i thought this is worth a try. Also when i read the recipe details it was easy and very much time consuming. In evening when my hubby had this sabzi, he was like superb and mind blowing sabzi. I didnt tell the secret of looking on net and cooking though ;).. I never used to like this sabzi. But once i started eating your recipe made, i couldnt stop licking my fingers..Thanks so much for posting this recipe and i will be looking forward to cook more of your recipes posted... Thanks a lot. :)

juraj said...

Pooja,
I have been looking for this all over the internet and I think your recipe is the one I was looking for. Easy, fast and very tempting. I am going to try it, but would like to ask about the amounts of the okra/potatoes to the amounts of spices you show in your recipe. Is it for one pound of okra and one pound of potatoes?

Pooja said...

Juraj,

The amount of spices mentioned will be sufficient for about one pound Okra and Half pound of Potato. Okra will shrink as it gets cooked :) I hope this helps ! Let us know how it turned out to be.

juraj said...

Pooja, this was my first Aloo Bhindi and it turn out really great! The amounts of the spices and everything was just perfect and all my family liked it very much. It practically dissapeared from lunch table :-) Thank you for a great idea! I will definitely try more of your recipes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...