Thursday, December 14, 2006

Aloo Matar (Potato Green Peas in tomato gravy)

When I announced Potato as vegetable of the week , I was much excited to prepare tangy & spicy dishes with that,, some how I got throat infection and anything much spicy is strictly No No from doc... :( , so I have to choose some less spicy yet tasty dishes with Potato now.

Aloo matar -One of the most favorite dish with Potato for almost all Indians. Easy to make and great in taste. As winter is in its full form, vegetable shops are full of fresh veggies here. It is perfect time to make Aloo Matar using fresh green peas, instead the frozen one. Frozen peas available here in all the season are also good in quality , still it is impossible to compare it with the fresh one. Just the look of the fresh green peas is enough to tempt me to prepare some dish of it. :)
Here is the way I make Aloo Matar at home .



Ingredients:
2-3 Potatoes ,
1/2 cup Peas ,
1 small onion chopped ,
2 Green chilies
3 Tomatoes, chopped finely
2 tsp Coriander-cumin powder,
1/2 Turmeric powder

1/2 tsp Red chili powder ,
1 tbsp Oil ,
Salt To Taste ,
Coriander leaves to garnish

Method :

Peel the potatoes and cut them into medium sized cubes
Boil the potatoes and peas. Mash ¼ part of potato and keep it aside.
Grind onions, chilies with little water to fine paste.
Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fry till they pop up. Add the ground paste and fry until it is done. Add tomatoes and let it cook until it forms thich gravy. Add the boiled potatoes, peas and one cup of water. Next add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder & mix well. Cover and cook for few minutes.
Add the mashed potato and cook on slow flame until a thick gravy is formed, finally add Corainder-cumin powder to it and turn of the heat after 1 minute. Garnish with corainder leaves and serve hot with parathas. It goes well with Rice too.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every time we went to a restaurant in India , we used to order Aloo-Matar! Here in US, somehow they don't have this in the menu! Atleast in NC.Lovely recipe,I will try it:)

Anonymous said...

Looks great Pooja...like I told you, Kartik hates potatoes....so I only make it once in a while...but I just love bataka-vatana shaak, I'll make it for myself and kiddies one of these days! *lol*

Trupti

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja,So bad that you can't eat spicy things!Anyway,you have so many recipes to prepare from potato once you get well completely.Aloo matar looks so refreshing.

Anonymous said...

Hey
Great blog! very interesting too. best wishes.. seeing a lot of food blogs but urs is best to me since only veg..

Raj

Anonymous said...

Hi Pooja,

Thanks for posting my receipe link.

The receipe looksawesome dear, presentation is cool.

By the way how is you health now?

Anonymous said...

great recipe
thanks for sharing it pooja

Pooja said...

Hi
Asha: try making it once, and you will find ti so easy to make and grea in taste that it will tempt you to make it again.... :) . I am so gald that you liked it.when i was about to post this, i thought this will e much common for all, just by going through your commet it felt like it is worth posting here. :) thanks dear !

Trupti : batata vatan nu shaak hu nani hati tyar thi maru priy hatu.. just ene have me thodu modify kari didhu chhe, tameta ni gravy banavi ne... hope kids and you will like this. Love to Sidh and Sahil . :) they are so cute, that no one can forget them.

Vini : you are right, once i will be ok , i have so many recipes to try, even some are in the lsit from Okra week too. My throat condition is improving now, but hubby is so over protective about me, that I am sure for next 1-2 weeks I will not be allowed to eat any oily n spicy food...:P , at least not in front og him :))

Raj: I am glad to hear this words from you. welcome to my blog, it is always open with variety of vegetable dishes around....

Usha: thanks dear , health is on improvement now. tough mine and your recipe was some what similar , i thought it will be good to show , how to make the same dish with same name two different way... thanks for being around. :)

JayaKartik: i am glad that you liked it. do let me know if you tryto make it my way some time .thanks for your nice words here.

-Pooja

Viji said...

Very nice and simple recipe Pooja. Viji

Anonymous said...

Thank you !! i am an amateur cook and tried it out for my fiance !!!

But it turned out amazing.He loved it !!
Thanks a lot . Keep posting !!

Luv,
Pri

Ashwani said...

Very helpful to a naive cook like me...I used to eat the same dish a lot when i used to stay with mom and dad but ever since, i got out never had a chance to eat it. Thanks to you, now i can cook and eat this delicious dish all by myself.

Keep posting more recipes to help people like me ;).

Thanks Again,
Ashwani

Pooja said...

Hi Pri,
i am glad that it helped you out ! :) .
there are many easy recipes around here, try some of them, and you will love cooking :D.
stay tuned, thanks for your comment that make me realize that i am being helpful to some naive cook. :)
stay tuned
-Pooja

Pooja said...

hi Ashwani,
its nice to read your comment here. thanks for dropping by here. i love when someone finds my recipes around here useful. feels like something i m doing is not worthless... :)
keep in touch .
will visit your blog soon . :)
-Pooja

Anand said...

hey...
I was searching the receipe for a thick gravy Allo matar sabji...and found here......Exactly what i was looking for!!!
Thanks.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...