Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Ghaaroda-My Diwali treat(my submission for VCC Q3 2006)



On this Diwali I decided to make something special for our guests and ourselves. As it is my common experience that on diwali normally when we visit our friends and relatives, we are welcomed by offering some sweet, which is either brought from market stores or made at home. And normally when we visit 2-3 friends we will be fed up by sweets, even though D likes sweets much, he never likes to have these much sweet items to swallow on the same day.... :) .So I decided to make Ghaaroda too along with some Mithai for all who are visiting us, as it will be change for them too from regular sweet items, and as it can be prepared within 2-3 mins each, I also can spare much time for them to spend with. Also I thought that a hot served item will delight them in these little cool days here.

Ingredients:

1 cup rice -cooked ( I use Basmati rice)
1 1/2 cup Besan(chana dal / chick peas flour)
2 meduim sized onion chopped
1 medium sized capsicum chopped
1 /2 cup coriender leaves chopped
2-3 green chilli chopped finely ,
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Ajwain(carom)
salt to taste
(sugar if one likes it of sweet in taste)

Method:
First get besan in a bowl and then add water to make medium- thick paste of it. Next add cooked rice to it and then all the ingredients to it one by one and mix them well. Finally add red chilly powder, turmeric powder and salt in it(also little add sugar if u like sweet taste basically i don’t add sugar normally ). Make sure that the whole of it should not be much thin or thick. It should be of medium thickness.(just as shown above)Now take a flat frying pan and put little oil on it. spread the raw material on it with the help of a big spoon . thickness should be 1/4 inch or little less than it . Spread it to make round shape & Let it cook on one side on slow heat . Apply little oil from side and Turn the side when it turns to golden brown in color.(as shown in pic), if needed spread little oil more from the side of it. (normally I don't need this, so I don't spread oil for second time, still it is cooking well, so why to use excessive oil :) ) Repeat the same process for other side.


When cooked on both sides, took off from stove, and serve hot with green chutney or tomato chutney or sauce. One can use this material for 1-2 days when stored in refrigerator. Just get it out before 5-10 mins . As it contains "Ajwain" it is good for health too, specially in these festival days when our tummy is loaded with sweet items :))

This is my entry for VCC Q3 2006 held by VKN.

19 comments:

Swamy VKN said...

Dear Pooja - WOW! what a pleasant surprise this is! We havent heard of this dish at all. Recipe details and pictures are brilliant. You have a winner recipe here Pooja. All the very best. Thank you for participating at VCC. See you at the show. Cheers!

vkn
My Dhaba

Pooja said...

Hi vkn,
thank you very much for encouraging a new entrant like me to your competition. I am very much fired up now with passion for cooking new items my way. :)
thanks really.
-Pooja

Anonymous said...

This recipe is totally new to me, a must try for sure. THank you so much, hope you enjoyed a happy diwali.

Pooja said...

Hi Archana,
Thanks for appreciating m own discovered recipe. :)
I have also gone through blog of yours. It feels nice when a person like u welcomes a newbie like me.
Thanks. Just be around it feels good. :)
-Pooja

Anonymous said...

wow pooja...it looks awsome... this one im surely gonna try out... my first time visit to ur blog n i think its not gonna be the last one.. keep posting new recipes..
cheers
supriya

Pooja said...

Dear Supriya,
Thanks for dropping by and Encouraging me.
I just visited youe blog, it has great pics for all recipe I think .
And you know what I liked the most? its' header tagged with 'My owrld ...my rules!!!'.Man, it feels like after a long time i have met someone like myself :).
keep posting. Here I am adding you to my blogroll.
I ll be there in touch with u. You also be around.
Thanks
-Pooja

Vini K said...

Hi Pooja,came over from Sia's corner..Your Gharoda looks very tasty apart from being easy to make.I think this is how I am going to use my leftover rice next time.Can this be made using normal sona masuir rice too?I don't use basmati except for very special occasions.Sona masuri is my regular kind of rice.

Pooja said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pooja said...

Hi Vini,
Thanks for droping by here.
Yes Ghaaroda is very easy to make and yet tasty . this will make a good brunch for a sunny morning. You can use any rice for this basically, and I think this will not make much difference in the final taste of it. after all which rice you can use is upto your choice. I like Basmati only , thats why I used that, One can use any kind of cooked rice for this.
Do let me know how it shaped up finally if you try it out. I would love if u ll mention about this on your blog too :) .
Be around.
-Pooja

Vani said...

First time here, Pooja. I must say, I love the recipes you've posted. I hadn't heard of Gharooda but it looks so good that I'm gonna try it for dinner tonight! :) Will let you know how it came out. THx for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hey Pooja,
I just tried out the Ghaaroda recipe. It came out sooooooooo well!!!It was so easy to make & did not take more than 5 min. Thanks a whole bunch!!
Please continue to post such simple & delicious recipes. Thanks again & all the best!:-)

Pooja said...

Hi Vani,
Thanks for dropping by and kind words for me...ooops... not me, its for my recipe - Ghaaroda.
I think by this time u might have already made Ghaaroda, and must be enjoying it . hmmmm..... :)
let me know how was the experience...
happy blogging.
(Adding you to my blogroll, hope U ll not have any prob with that. )
Cheers!
-Pooja

Pooja said...

Hey anonymous,
You are most welcome.
May I know your name just to make sure who has tried my recipe :) .
Yes, its true that it is very easy and takes very less time to make it. well, time taking recopes on my blog, no way man! I m too busy to spend hours and hours in kitchen :D even though I never mentioned it on blog, I must say that the recipes I am posting here will not be much time taking normally. :) So u be around and keep getting some good yet speedy recipes :)
Thanks
-Pooja

Vani said...

Pooja- tried it for dinner last night. It tasted delicious but it did not come out crisp. It was too soft & a little mushy. I may have gotten the proportions wrong. We enjoyed it thoroughly despite that! :-)

Pooja said...

Hi Vani ,
I think there can not be any problem other than the thickness of the whole paste. I mentioned to take care of this in the post too. well, next time if you find the whole paste little thin then add little besan to it, that will work fine. I have added you to my blogroll. :) .
stay tuned.
-Pooja

Vani said...

The batter was not thin but I will try it thicker next time. Thanks for the tip, P!

Pooja said...

Vani ,
I think adding just a pinch of edible soda (sodium bi carbonate), this will solve your problem for sure. Thanks for responding.
Stay Tuned
-Pooja

Anonymous said...

I'm Kortny,
from Arabia,
and I'm 15 y.o

Hi, Everybody
I've studied English sinse Winter .
It's very!
I want like to meet peple and practisice My English with them.

Thanks all!!

Sree said...

Hi pooja,

I am visiting your blog for the first time:) I am a huge Dosa fan and i simply loved this recipe. I will definitely try this out!

Sree

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...