Thursday, June 5, 2008

One Post 2 Guests- for VoW-JFI Bell Peppers...

Mumbai girl Supriya Natu lives in Seattle with husband and 5 year old cute daughter. She sent me this on 27th to be a part of "VoW-JFI- Bell Peppers "

Here is her recipe of Quesadilla in her own words...
Quesadilla, as you may know, is a part of the Mexican cuisine wherein veggies, cheese, meats etc. are stuffed between tortillas. The restaurant version is loaded with cheese, especially for a vegetarian like myself, this dish does not provide a balanced meal. Hence I started making it at home with more healthy options. Now we like the home-made version better and rarely have it in the restaurant. It is pretty easy to put together, hence a popular weeknight dinner in my home. I make several different types of fillings, for today's meal, it was this mixed bell peppers one. The accompanying soup is just an extension of this dish. Here's how I made it:
1
medium onion - chopped
1 each - green, red, yellow and orange bell pepper - chopped
1 15 oz. can of black beans - drained & rinsed
2 heaped tsp. cumin-coriander pwd.
Salt, 2 tsp. oil

Heat the oil. Saute the onion till pink. Add the bell peppers. Saute 5-7 mins. Add the black beans, cumin-coriander pwd and salt. Mix well. Cook 2-3 mins. more. I like the smoky aroma that the mixture exudes at this point. For making the quesadillas - 5 tortillas ( I used Mission brand Multi Grain tortillas) Tabasco hot sauce Shredded cheese ( I used Kraft Mexican style four cheese blend) Fill half of each tortilla with 2-3 heaped tbsps of the mix. Drizzle few drops of Tabasco hot sauce per taste. Top with shredded cheese per taste.
Fold each tortilla over into half. Roast on a skillet with 1-2 drops of oil until brown spots appear on both sides. I myself like it a bit charred, so I dry roast it on medium-high. Then cool it for a few seconds, cut into 2 or 4 wedges and serve.
I almost always make this accompanying easy soup with the quesadillas. Take about 3 to 4 tbsps. of the above mix. Add 3 to 4 tbsps of any store-brand salsa and about 2 to 3 cups of vegetable broth or water. Mix and simmer until heated thru. To serve, pour in a bowl & top with few crushed tortilla chips.



The second guest entry is from Sejal Fichadia. In her own words... "I am a stay-at-home mother of two, one daughter and one son. I love to cook and feed my family and friends. I like to entertain and make friends. I am a blogger but not a food blogger. I haven't mustered up the courage to create my food blog yet. But I made something yesterday and thought of your event. "

Sejal wants to share here her recipe of "Rigatoni with vegetarian Bolognese sauce ". She used Mini peppers to make the sauce .
Here is her recipe :)

3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 red onion, peeled and chopped

3 red mini pepppers , seeded and chopped
2 orange mini peppers, seeded and chopped
2 yellow mini peppers, seeded and chopped
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup olive
2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano leaves
2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

1.5 cups baby bella (brown) mushrooms, chopped
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
1 lb. rigatoni pasta

1/4 cup parmesan
1/3 cup red wine Place carrots, onions and sweet mini peppers and garlic in a food processor. Pulse them until finely chopped but still chunky. Place olive oil in a large skillet ( I used Non Stick) over medium heat. Add the veggies, oregano, salt and pepper and cook until they are tender about 8 minutes. Add the baby bella mushrooms and let them cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and continue cooking and stirring to dissolve the tomato paste, until mushrooms are softened about 5 min. Add 1/2 cup water and 1/3 cup red wine. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat to low, let it simmer until liquid is reduced to half, about 10 minutes. Add mascarpone cheese and stir until the cheese is incorporated. Cook the pasta in a large pot in hot salted boiling water over high heat. Save some of the water from pasta (about half a cup). Drain pasta and add to the vegetable mixture and add the saved pasta water, to moisten the sauce if necessary. Toss with Parmesan and serve. Serves : 6

For anything more on recipe here you may write to Supriya directly on smnatu@yahoo.com .
You can reach Sejal on zobars@gmail.com, or here.
Or leave a comment here to appreciate the effort of these two lovely ladies for joining us in cooking with Bell peppers :) .

Thank you Supriya and Sejal for being a part of this event , feel free to respond to the comment to your recipe in the comment section here :) .

P.S. - If anyone of you out there by any chance forgot to sent me entry in email for VoW-JFI "Bell Peppers" then please send it soon. Due to little break I was not able to track all your blogs. I have already replied to all of those whose entries I have got in email. So if you didn't get my comment yet then send the entry again. Thank you in Advance. Hugs to you all for being a part of this event and stay tuned to see the huge variety of vegetarian dishes with bell peppers :D.

13 comments:

zobars said...

thank you posting this recipe and including me in the event too.

Mythreyee said...

wow! wonderful recipes.

Nanditha Prabhu said...

it is so wonderful o you to include guest posts in your blogspot. both r wonderful recipes.. thnaks:)

zobars said...

I actually made a kids version of the same thing by omitting the red wine and using Anneletti ( ring shaped pasta-I purchased mine at Trader Joe's) to make it more fun to eat and you could add more mascarpone cheese to make it more creamy and mask the flavors of the veggies ( for those of us who have picky-eaters).

TNL said...

How nice! Both those recipes are lovely, Pooja...I am going to send you one more too.

hugs,trupti

Gattina Cheung said...

what the great entries! Pooja, you know what I'm thinking... this healthy version of quesadilla for dinner tonight!

FH said...

YUMMY! I love the Tortilla one specially!:)

Good to see your post!:))

EC said...

Nice dishes...waiting for the roundup

Anonymous said...

Wonderful guest posts!
A surprise with two awards for you at my blog at the post: http://foodwithapinchoflove.wordpress.com/2008/06/06/nice-matters-and-good-chat-blog-awards/

Never Mind!! said...

sent u my recipe byemail

Never Mind!! said...

Why are my comments disappearing? I emailed my recipe to you twice!

Kalai said...

Gorgeous guest entries, Pooja! I re-sent my entry for JFI. I hope you received it this time! :)

FoodieFriend said...

wow! Feels like I'm in the middle of a cookery exhibition!
Good work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...